The life behind the DeKalb 4th Ward Alderman

Brendon+Gallagher+has+held+the+DeKalb+4th+Ward+Alderman+position+since+2009+after+previously+serving+as+a+board+member+for+the+village+of+Shabbona.+

Brendon Gallagher has held the DeKalb 4th Ward Alderman position since 2009 after previously serving as a board member for the village of Shabbona.

By Jessica Wells

Brendon Gallagher has been the DeKalb 4th Ward Alderman since 2009 but this was not his first position in community service.

Previous to becoming DeKalb’s alderman, Gallagher was a board member in the village of Shabbona.

Gallagher has lived in the Northern Illinois area all his life.

“I always thought I would get back into this after I got my family up and running and everything,” Gallagher said. “I have three kids, and I always told my wife, ‘Some day I’ll go back and do this.’ So the opportunity presented itself. The last 4th Ward alderman decided not to run again and so I thought it was time for me to step up and help out.”

Gallagher said a typical day for him involves checking his voicemails and e-mails through the DeKalb City website, as well as at his job as an independent financial adviser. On occasion, he provides solutions for constituents in his ward for problems they may be having.

“I just give relief in that aspect, and then on the other side, my day includes putting together information in regards to getting ready for meetings, or just simply preparing myself for anything else that we’re planning on, be it a bike path or you name it,” Gallagher said.

DeKalb Mayor Kris Povlsen said Gallagher’s financial background is an asset to the city council.

“He really brings a great wealth of knowledge related to finances and with the financial issues we’re facing with the city, his background is excellent,” Povlsen said. “He is able to analyze and get into the details of the fiscal budget and that really is of value to all of us.”

Gallagher, who has owned a home in DeKalb for 15 years, said he has enjoyed living in the area.

“I just think it’s easy to get around in, and the people are terrific and it offers so much for a cultural aspect, I mean the university is just key,” Gallagher said. “If you want arts and music and any kind of literature, it’s all at your fingertips.”

Gallagher, who received a bachelor’s degree in political science from NIU in 1990, said he loves college football, especially the Huskies.

“I graduated from Northern 20 years ago and to see what the Huskies have done this year and what a strong team they are now in football is really great,” Gallagher said. “I think it’s great what they’re doing, so good for them. It must be really exciting to be a student right now.”

Gallagher said he has also recently discovered a new hobby.

“I’ve been making beer for the past two years,” Gallagher said. “A buddy of mine, a professor over at Northern, we were talking about it and he has a couple friends so we formed a club and we get together once a month and discuss beer and talk about recipes.”

Gallagher said this is a popular hobby right now, especially with the introduction of the new show “Brew Masters” on the Discovery Channel.

While he enjoys his hobbies, Gallagher said his passion lies with his family.

“My family is a really big motivator for me,” Gallagher said.

Gallagher also had some advice for students looking to make the most out of their college years. He suggests that students try different classes and find their passion.

“Stick with it and don’t quit,” Gallagher said. “You’re going to reach a point sometimes in life where you’ll be like ‘This is too hard.’ It’s never too hard. There’s always someone there that will give you some help so stick to it. Continue to always dream big, that is the key.”