Here’s some advice for spring registration, use your adviser

By Phil Case

The time to pick classes for spring semester is fast approaching. Before you make the mistake of loading up on science and math classes just to get your general education requirements out of the way, here are some simple tips to help you set up a reasonable schedule.

“I would say that it is important to see your counselor,” said Lauren Grossberg, senior speech language pathology/audiology major. “And make sure you have the classes you need to take written on a list, along with other options in case classes are full.”

If you fail to do this, you might end up being the 28 year-old undergraduate who is fluent in three languages, has enough anthropology credits for a doctorate, but still needs to take COMS 100 and a slew of science classes before he can graduate.

“Once you’ve gotten your general education requirements satisfied, then you should definitely focus on making sure you know your major requirements and working in a logical way towards getting those satisfied,” said John Peterson, graduate student of political science and undergraduate advisor for the department.

Another thing you need to consider when picking classes is what kind of a student you are.

Are you the type who gets bored and disinterested when lessons overlap or the type who suffers from chronic academic attention deficit disorder when there is no consistency or reinforcement throughout your classes? Make sure your schedule reflects your preferences and needs.

“I would suggest that you set your schedule up with a little bit of variety,” Peterson said. “If you pick all math classes and don’t do well in math that semester, it creates a spiral effect and ends up hurting your grade point average.”

Also, be practical. Every semester, someone tries to convince themselves that this will be the one when they finally buy an alarm clock, buckle down, and start waking up for 8 a.m. chemistry labs.

These are the same people who frantically look up deadlines for dropping classes after a few weeks and several missed classes.

Do not be one of them.

If you spent all summer sleeping until noon and plan on doing the same thing over winter break, set some realistic expectations.

There is a reason that NIU offers afternoon and night classes. And if you really want to have a morning-heavy schedule, start trying to adjust your sleeping habits when your grades do not depend on it.

Finally, if you are lucky enough to have a major that allows for a healthy amount of electives, you should pick a class or two that broadens your horizons at least a little bit.

Sure, you could pad the illustrious grade point average by taking classes in subjects that you have already mastered, but you will find college to be a much more enlightening experience if you give yourself the chance to actually learn something.

Pursue an LGBT Studies certificate. Take a class on the civil rights movement.

Basically, just do whatever it takes to graduate as a more rounded person than the high-schooler you were when you came to college.