Grad Fair pushes for education

By Jacqueline Evans

Students looking to further their education beyond a bachelor’s degree found more information at this year’s Graduate and Professional School Fair.

The department of Career Services hosted the fair for the second year from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m Tuesday in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

Students who attended were able to meet with 64 universities as well as representatives from three test preparation services. Programs included focuses on management, law, foreign languages and medicine. The fair also had a raffle giveaway that included T-shirts, water bottles and USB flash drives.

Those who attended programs were pleased with the information provided.

“[The fair] is a really good resource for students,” said Courtney Boykins, junior communication disorder major.  “It’s nice to have everything in one place with so much useful information.”

The universities and programs at the fair were from Illinois as well as surrounding states.

“[The fair] gave everyone a chance to see what programs were offered in Illinois and around Illinois,” said Ade Ajose, public health graduate student.

Career Services was happy about the turnout and felt that students were excited about continuing their education.

“Students seemed excited about learning about other programs,” said Jan Wylde, employer relations specialist for Career Services. “Looking into graduate school is a part of career development and were happy students are taking it serious.”