Walking the runway of NIU

By Jalen Cobb

Sisters Marielle and Jocelyn Ostling could not be more different when it comes to fashion.

“I’m like the least [fashionable] person,” said Mariellejb, sophomore special education major. “I definitely don’t follow any [magazines and celebrities]; I see something, I like it and wear it.”

Some students are meticulous about their appearance, while others just throw on whatever feels good.

“A lot of style and trends depends on the fit and how it makes you feel,” said Jocelyn, transfer student special education major.

Students around campus are showing their style and individuality. Regardless of class times and having to get up early in the morning to show off their style, some students are rising to the challenge.

“I’ve been seeing a lot of cardigans, vibrant colors, tank tops and leggings, lots of leggings,” Marielle said.

Students can be seen in everything from sweatshirts to cardigans. The choice depends on the person wearing the clothing.

The fit and feel of clothing is essential in choosing clothing.

“The style tends be classic, follows natural body figures, and accentuates layered looks,” said Hyun-Mee Joung, associate professor of textiles, apparel and merchandising. “People should not wear too tight, too short, and too baggy clothing and should not reveal too much skin such as shoulder, belly, and thigh areas.”

Joung said many vintage trends are coming back to mix with new styles.

“Fashion recurs periodically, however nowadays it seems there is no clear fashion,” Joung said. “Because fashion life cycles are shorter than ever before, people tend to wear mix-and-match styles; new and old.”

Jocelyn said mixing and matching is the best way to find creative, comfortable outfits.

“Taking vintage clothing and pairing new things with them is how I like to dress,” Jocelyn said. “Skinny jeans are really big, Leggings obviously; Uggs, and lots of layering.”