Resume book gives boost to minorities

By Sandra Masibay

The Organization of Black Business Students (OBBS) and the Student Association Minority Relations Committee have given NIU minority students an extra boost by producing a book filled with their resumes.

The book was distributed to company representatives at Tuesday’s Career Planning and Placement Job Fair.

The Job Fair, which was attended by over 100 representatives of various companies, is held on one day of each semester. Some examples of participating companies include American Family Insurance, Elek-Tek, Foot Locker, Jewel Food Stores, Little City Foundation, Motorola and the Peace Corps.

The resume book is a compilation of resumes submitted by NIU minority students on a volunteer basis. OBBS has put together resume books in past years, but never one of this size and sophistication.

Collin Halliman, SA minority relations adviser and co-chair of the resume project, attributes the success of the book to support from businesses, campus organizations and student participation.

Sponsoring companies include such names as Walgreens, Northern Illinois Gas, Ameritech, Vancom, Bolling & Hill and IBM.

“(This year’s resume book) is the best one that I have seen so far. Collin has done a real good job in marketing and letting enough students know about it,” said Roselyn Curry, counselor for Career Planning and Placement.

Halliman expects the resume book to grow in size with an expected 200 pages next year.

“The books are a splendid idea. I would be astounded if the companies did not use them,” said Jon Hart, representative of J & J Enterprises.

Gregory Teamer is a senior management major who received a call from Walgreens as a result of having his resume published in the book.

“I was surprised to get a call. I met the person later and we talked about some career choices,” Teamer said.

“Additional thanks goes out to Jackie Barnes, co-chair of the resume book project, Catherine Reeves, Keith Ellis, Rhonda Smith, Damita Crittenden, Education Service & Planning, Cooperative Education, Career Planning and Placement, the National PanHellenic Council, the College of Business and the Student Association,” Halliman said.

“(This year’s resume book) is the best one that I have seen so far. Collin Halliman has done a real good job in marketing and letting enough students know about it.”