Downtown area shines with local business

By John Bachmann

Whether it’s been a couple years or more than a decade, many businesses have established themselves in downtown DeKalb.

The Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St., has been around for over 80 years offering various forms of entertainment.

Executive Director Alex Nerad said anyone who’s grown up in DeKalb, is very familiar with the Egyptian.

“Many have memories either through being on stage or by being in the audience,” Nerad said.

For Nerad, one thing that makes the Egyptian special is the strong community involvement.

“We provide so many opportunities for anyone to get involved with upcoming events and productions,” he said.

Other businesses have people who were familiar with DeKalb well before they became owners.

Bill McMahon, owner of The Lincoln Inn, 240 E. Lincoln Highway, knew the restaurant while he was a student.

“I was a student at NIU and bought this place in 1994, a few years after I graduated,” McMahon said.

He added including the years he’s been under ownership and prior to that, the restaurant has been around for almost 45 years.

McMahon feels Lincoln Inn is great comfort place for the community to relax in.

“It’s a family place and diner rolled into one,” he said. “It’s a place for others to catch up with their family and friends.”

Like McMahon, Mary Wilson, owner of Hillside Restaurant, 121 N. Second St., was previously a student before she took over.

“I worked there while I was a NIU student and then became owner in 1987,”

Before Wilson, became the owner, it had already been in the downtown area since the mid-1950s.

Wilson said Hillside restaurant has a strong hold in the community and a long reputation of offering great food to customers.

“It’s a nice place for home cooked meals with no TV’s blaring when you walk in,” she said.

Although it hasn’t been around as long as the other businesses, Lavish Thrifts, 153 E. Lincoln Highway, has familiarized itself with students.

“It’s a good place for college students to shop,” said Sarah Wiley, manager of Lavish Thrifts. “We have a variety of pretty much everything and offer affordable prices.”