New dean discusses future plans for College of Education

La Vonne Neal replaces Lemuel Watson as the dean for the College of Education.

By MaryJo Kratochvil

New dean La Vonne Neal has big goals for the College of Education.

Neal said she is excited about the opportunities that she faces.

“As a leader who is mission-focused and data-driven, I’m excited about my appointment to assist the College of Education to transform and continue to be the innovators of education, not just in the state, not just nationally, but globally,” Neal said.

Neal, former dean of the College of Education at University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, replaced former dean Lemuel Watson. Watson is currently a professor of Adult and Higher Education.

Helen Brantley, chair of the Department of Teaching and Learning, said she believes Neal has a lot to offer.

“She will bring transformation and change to the college,” Brantley said.

At the College of Education retreat, Neal and other members of the faculty of the college discussed the goals of the College of Education.

“These are our five goals: students, diversity, engagement, innovation and culture,” she said.

The College of Education’s strategic planning goals and sub-goals were made before Neal’s arrival on July 1.

“The strategic plan was developed by the COE, faculty and staff prior to my arrival,” Neal said. “What we are doing now is implementing the plan.”

Connie Fox, associate dean of the College of Education, said she believes the staff supports the appointment.

“Right now I think everybody is supportive of the dean and the goals she has in place,” Fox said.

Neal said she wants to make sure that the goals that are in place now, will continue to be the goals of the college in the future.

“What that will look like is that we have systems and processes in place so that regardless of who’s here, it continues,” Neal said.

Neal is most concerned about the students enrolled in the College of Education.

“Our number one goal: students continuously improve our teaching, advising, intervention and retention strategies,” she said.