Bike rentals a convenient way to travel around campus

By Ryan Chambers

Buses, scooters and roller blades are all options for getting around campus, but many students still travel on two wheels.

“I think the bikes are great because I can get a nice workout while on my way to class,” said Marcus Kincaid, freshman civil engineering major.

For those who don’t have a bike on campus, NIU has an option. Bright yellow bikes are available to all university students at no cost by Parking Services. The bikes are rented out per semester on a first come, first serve basis.

Bikes will be available on Sept. 6. Students are required to return the bikes by the end of the semester, but they be available again on Jan. 10, 2011.

“I really do think it is great that the school is offering this system to students,” Kincaid said. “Especially for those of us who are new on campus and are unfamiliar with the bus system.”

Transportation issues are not the only reason students are choosing to switch to bikes.

Alandis Philips, director of student life, said he feels the lack of parking spaces and the sometimes inconvenient bus routes also play a part in the bike trend this year.

“A lot of students cannot park on campus, whether that is due to a lack of means of paying for the parking permits, or because there is simply nowhere to park,” Phillips said. “And with the bus routes not running in certain areas of campus, students are being forced to find other means of transportation.”

Many students living off campus are choosing to bike to campus as well.

“No matter how early you wake up, you won’t find a decent parking space anywhere near campus so I just my ride bike instead,” said Sarah Williams, a junior undecided major.

“The bikes are definitely convenient,” said Ashley Anderson, sophomore elementary education major. “You can just get up and leave when you want as opposed to walking or waiting for the bus.”