DeKalb plans new welcome event

By Emily Goins

DeKALB | The DeKalb community and NIU are teaming up to put on a one-day welcome event for students new to the area.

Huskies SEE DeKalb will take place Thursday Aug. 26 from 3 to 8 p.m. in downtown DeKalb.

“This is a first-time event put on to show off our area to new NIU Huskies,” said Debbie Armstrong, Executive Director of the DeKalb Area Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, who is putting on the event. “We want our Huskies to have a chance to roam about downtown and to feel a part of our community.”

NIU Shuttle Buses will depart from the Holmes Student Center starting at 2:30 p.m. and continue every 15 minutes until 8:30 p.m. The buses will take students to the Egyptian Theatre where they will be welcomed by the NIU Steel Drum Band. Students will then be presented with information about the area and will begin a self-guided tour of downtown DeKalb.

In previous years, Armstrong has been asked to give many tours of DeKalb to different student groups.

“I’ve always wanted to do a bigger event,” Armstrong said.

She decided to reach out to her colleagues, the university and business partners around the community, and was met with positive reception about doing a larger event, she said.

“This really shows the great collaboration between NIU and the community,” Armstrong said. “This is happening not only with the cooperation of NIU and the CVB but also with the businesses around downtown DeKalb and Re:New DeKalb. There are a lot of people responsible for making this happen.”

This event will include a scavenger hunt, prizes, gift baskets, meal deals and shopping discounts. The Farmer’s Market will also be going on from 12 to 6 p.m. at the Van Buer Plaza.

Ken Zehnder, Associate Director of External Affairs for NIU, has been collaborating with ReNew DeKalb and the CVB to help coordinate activities for Huskies SEE DeKalb.

“The downtown merchants have put together special deals for students and hopefully students will take advantage of this opportunity and see what DeKalb has to offer,” Zehnder said.

Community leaders will be mingling around the area with everyone, possibly including NIU President John Peters and Mayor Kris Povlsen, Armstrong said.

The event will conclude with a free showing of “The Dark Knight” at the Egyptian Theatre, sponsored by the NIU Alumni Association. Shuttle buses will be available to take students back to campus after the movie.

Zehnder said he hopes students will attend this event to see DeKalb and be encouraged to keep coming back to the restaurants and shops throughout the year.

“I hope we can build on this success in future years,” Zehnder said.

This event is not only for new students to attend.

“We want to invite everyone out to Huskies SEE DeKalb,” Armstrong said. “Students, faculty, staff, the community, to show that we’re all Huskies in DeKalb County.”