3 DeKalb businesses close over the summer

By John Bachmann

DeKalb nightlife options have gotten smaller during the summer months.

Three businesses closed over the summer, including Tequila Roadhouse, 1215 Blackhawk Road, Krystal’s Lounge, 122 S. First St. and Campus Club Bar and Grill, 1000 W. Lincoln Highway.

DeKalb Mayor Kris Povlsen said all three businesses turned in their liquor licenses indicating they were no longer open.

Their reasons for closure were never given, but Povlsen said the restaurant and bar tax may have played a role.

“I believe with the restaurant and bar tax staying the same, this caused revenue from businesses also staying about the same,” Povlsen said. “So you have people not spending any more or less toward hospitality establishments.”

Tequila Roadhouse turned in their Class A liquor license, which according to Chapter 38 of the DeKalb Municipal Code requires a business must make at least 75 percent of its sales from alcohol and no more than 25 percent from sales of other goods or services.

Krystal’s Lounge turned in their Class BW license that allows the sale of beer and wine.

Campus Club turned in their Class E license which requires at least 60 percent of sales to come from food and beverages (excluding alcohol) and no more than 40 percent of sales from alcohol.

With the three licenses being turned in, they are now all up for grabs.

Povlsen said there has been interest in the licenses, but that’s as far as it has gone so far.

Senior marketing major Hannah Hinds, who used to work at Campus Club, felt how the place was run and high covers factored into its downfall.

“A lot of the covers would be $10,” Hinds said. “No college student wants to pay that much.”

Business graduate student Anthony Preston was someone who was going to Tequila Roadhouse about once a week but said he wouldn’t be affected by its closing.

“The food was good there but there are other places for me to go,” Preston said.