Forensics Team places in two tournaments

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

The Forensics Team finished the year with top places in two national tournaments.

Student orators Yonatan Axel and Zain Ansari made it to the elite eight of The National Parliamentary Debate Tournament.

Forensics director Kerith Woodyard said Axel and Ansari had to debate over current events, but they didn’t know what topic they would get, meaning they had to make sure they paid attention to the news.

The National Parliamentary Debate Tournament took place at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., where over 240 teams participated. Each team had an opportunity to debate. To be the top team they had to receive a five to three win lose record, and they reached this, Woodyard said.

“They broke it down to which team was the most successful,” Woodyard said.

Another team member, Kerri Simons, made it to the semifinal round of persuasive speaking at the American Forensics Association Individual Events Tournament in Akron, Ohio where she

took seventh place.

Woodyard said for this competition Simons had to recite a speech in the categories of informative, persuasive, after dinner speaking, interpretation and poetry.

Simons was also named as one of the students of the American Forensics Association All-American Team. Only 16 students nationwide are chosen for acceptance. The selection of the students is based upon scholarship, community service and commitment to forensics.

Woodyard looks back on the year and is pleased for the team’s achievements.

“We’re grateful we had the opportunity to travel,” Woodyard said. “And we are happy with all the places.”