56 professors to go on sabbatical next year

By DAVID THOMAS

Every year, a number of professors are approved to go on sabbatical during the next academic year. They are not paid vacations. Instead, they are breaks from school work that allow the professor to focus on research that applies to their field of specialty. Professors can opt to be away for a semester, in which they receive full pay, or a year, receiving only half pay.

56 professors, along with eight alternates, will be going on sabbatical next year. Here are a few of them.

KERRY BURCH, SABBATICAL: 2009-2010 SCHOOL YEAR

Many phrases have to come to symbolize the American identity. Kerry Burch, associate professor of philosophy of education, is focusing on 10 specific ones.

“Each phrase contains contradictory images of what it means to be an American,” Burch said.

One phrase is “the business of America’s business.” One philosopher said the business of America is democracy, but Burch said there are contradictions between values of business and values of democracy.

Other phrases include “the pursuit of happiness” and “four score and seven years ago,” Each chapter will focus on a different phrase, their respective contradictions and their implications.

“It’ll lead to a much better understanding of the contested character of American identity,” Burch said.

DAVID GUNKEL, SABBATICAL: FALL 2009

In an age of intelligent machines, media studies professor David Gunkel is debating if those machines should be treated ethically. Tentatively titled as “The Machine Question,” Gunkel will examine how past and present Western thinkers have considered the relationship between humanity and machines and what should be done about it.

“What moral responsibility do machines have to us and what responsibility do we have to them?” Gunkel said.

Having examined current trends and beliefs, Gunkel is not confident in humanity’s ability to treat machines ethically.

“We’re completely screwed,” Gunkel said, stating that humans have difficulty in extending ethical treatment to others, and that humans are very uncomfortable with things that are not human.

GUADALUPE LUNA, SABBATICAL: SPRING 2010

A lot of media coverage has focused on the drug violence in Mexico, but Guadalupe Luna, interim associate dean of the NIU College of Law and law professor, is traveling to the U.S.-Mexico border for another reason.

She is investigating allegations of property law violations made by the Department of Homeland Security in constructing the border fence.

“They said we’re going to waive all of those laws; they don’t apply here,” Luna said, adding that the Clean Air and Water Act may have been violated along with numerous land treaties. Luna said that DHS cites national security in its activities.

DAVID SINASON, SABBATICAL: FALL 2009

For his sabbatical, associate professor of accountancy David Sinason, is hoping to measure the knowledge of people sitting on audit committees in companies about their internal auditing departments.

To do so, Sinason said he is going to create a very realistic, but fictional, audit report and send it to 3,000 to 5,000 internal auditing members.

“The hope is to convince the Institute of Internal Auditors, as well as other professional auditing associations, to educate auditing committees about higher standards of internal auditors,” Sinason said.

By cultivating the expectations of higher standards in auditing committees, it will lead to higher standards amongst internal auditors. Sinason said it is not a problem, but “we know not all of them are following.”