Presidents to address multiculturalism

By Matt Gilbert

Presidents of organizations, it’s that time again. The third and final president’s meeting of the semester will be at 9 p.m. Tuesday in the Holmes Student Center Capitol Room.

The meeting will address topics such as the multiculturalism requirement, including the announcement of a date for a campus-wide multiculturalism forum, and the push to open teacher evaluations.

Student Association Vice President Dave Gonzalez is once again organizing the event and hopes to get Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Planning, to speak at the meeting. SA President Abe Andrzejewski, Academic Affairs Adviser Derek Anderson and student Regent John Butler also will speak.

According to Gonzalez, all SA recognized organizations must attend two of the three presidents’ meetings per semester or face having their recognition and funding suspended for the first two weeks of next semester. Gonzalez said the dates for all three meetings next semester will be announced tonight.

“The presidents’ meetings are a perfect opportunity for students to voice their opinions on what their student government is doing,” Gonzalez said. “If people agree or don’t agree with the multiculturalism requirement, then they can come and voice their opinion.”

Butler said he also will discuss his office and what happens at a Board of Regents meeting during the presidents meeting. “That’s going to be my theme,” he said. “I’m just going to talk about whatever people want to talk about.”

The tentative date for the multiculturalism forum has been set for Nov. 29. According to Andrzejewski, the time and room in the student center have not yet been determined. Andrzejewski, Gonzalez, Anderson, Butler and SA Treasurer Gin Welch will speak at the forum. “We’ll talk about what we’ve done up to this point and we’ll take questions and concerns,” Butler said.

“I’m concerned that we’re not listening to all the concerns students have about the multiculturalism requirement,” Butler said. He has been getting both positive and negative responses about the multiculturalism requirement from student leaders.

All students are invited to attend.

“The presidents’ meetings are a perfect opportunity for students to voice their opinions on what their student government is doing.”