NIU mourns loss of Professor Larry Johannessen

By JOHN BACHMANN

Colleagues will remember Larry Johannessen as the professor who left treats for those with a sweet tooth, said Philip Eubanks, acting chair of the English Department.

“He always kept a supply of dark chocolate outside of his office for colleagues and students to have,” Eubanks said of the English professor who died Tuesday.

Johannessen, who had been on medical leave for most of this semester, died of a blood disorder.

Eubanks has fond memories of his colleague.

“He was an extraordinarily talented as a teacher and extremely productive as a scholar,” Eubanks said. “I can hardly express how the department feels about it. He was friends with every person here.”

Johannessen came to NIU in 2001 and taught classes relating to the Vietnam War. Johannessen himself was a Vietnam veteran who had served two tours of duty during the war.

“He regularly taught classes on literature and film of Vietnam,” Eubanks said, adding the Vietnam classes were popular. “Students were moved by it and learned a great deal during that complicated time. He was a teacher’s teacher who had students that loved and praised him.”

Judith Pokorny, assistant to the undergraduate director of the English Department, shared similar sentiments.

“He was definitely a one-of-a-kind individual who enjoyed working here,” she said. “He also brought a lot of enthusiasm and energy here as well. I can’t imagine working without him here.”