University Council meeting addressed swine flu issues, parking availability Wednesday

By MICHAEL BROWN

Confirmed swine flu cases are increasing, but NIU is prepared.

At Wednesday’s University Council meeting, Provost Ray Alden addressed the issue. Alden, who sat in for NIU President John Peters, said that NIU has an “emergency response team” and “a very detailed … emergency plan for pandemics” that they’ve had on the shelf since the avian flu outbreak. He also said that the response team has met three times and that more information regarding the possible pandemic can be found by following the link on the the NIU Web site’s homepage.

“The Health Services center is working closely with the public health agencies, and I would suggest you monitor the Web page,” Alden said. “There will be routine updates and connections to the CDC and other information sources.”

Brian Hemphill, vice president of student affairs, said the residential dining halls have made some adjustments as well.

“Traditionally in Neptune, students can go through and serve themselves. We’re making adjustments in terms of how we’re doing that and having staff do more of that so we won’t have so many hands touching all the food and things,” Hemphill said. “It’s just a precautionary measure.”

Alden encouraged anyone who feels flu symptoms to go to Health Services or their health care provider, and even to encourage others who feel sick to do the same. He also said people should keep hands washed, especially before handling food or touching the eyes or mouth.

“This is a disease that’s contagious from a day before you show symptoms to seven days after your first symptom,” Alden said.

Parking availability was also addressed in Wednesday’s meeting. Linda Derscheid, chair of the resources, space and budget committee, said that in a March 17 meeting, it was determined that at least 20 brown parking spaces will change to blue to aid the lack of parking availability for faculty and staff for next fall.

Blue spaces are reserved for staff and faculty. Brown spaces are reserved for students living off-campus.