Renovations on Grant Towers will create more comfortable atmosphere

By JENNIFER KURLAND

Four walls, two beds, two closets, two desks and one refrigerator; these are the makings of Grant Tower dorm rooms. Taking into account the architecture, food and style of living in Grant Towers, the rooms can be compared to the living standards of a jail cell.

“There are things I do like about the dorms and there are things I dislike about the dorms,” said Elmore Norwood, freshman health and human science major. “The biggest dislike that I have is the size of the rooms.”

The Grant Tower dorms are rectangular with a roommate just an arm’s length away. Because of this unique “cozy” living at Grant Towers, some residents compare it to a concrete cell.

“Being so close to your roommate is annoying at times,” Norwood said.

The rooms are small, there are communal bathrooms and it does have the setting of an old haunted building, but Grant Towers does deserve to be noted for its positives.

“Who doesn’t love Grant North’s brunch?” asked Kelli Tretina, freshman elementary education major.

NIU wouldn’t be NIU without Grant Towers, but the building is in definite need for an update and it’s on its way.

“Renovation of the Grant Towers will create more dining options and a more comfortable atmosphere,” said Dave LaBanc, director of residential facilities and operations for housing and dining.

The university administration is aware that Grant renovations are long overdue.

“The projected date for Grant North Tower C to be finished is Fall 2011,” said Michael Stang, executive director of housing and dining.

The future Grant Towers will look similar to Stevenson. Grant will also have the same dining concept as Stevenson. Although 100 students less will fit into each tower, the students that do will have a more spacious living option. For now, the only tower being renovated is C.

“Our goal was for our students’ needs to be met and this renovation will help achieve this goal,” LaBanc said.

The Stevenson Towers are the newest addition to the dorm life on campus and it is exciting to hear that soon Grant Towers will resemble them. For students that live in Grant Towers currently, think of this not as missing out on a good thing, but be glad that future Huskies will have better living conditions.