Dorm food debate rages on

By DAVID THOMAS

Fatty’s Pub and Grille and Huskie’s Pizza can stake claim to the best burger and pizza in DeKalb, but no dining hall on campus seems to dominate the others.

Sophomore geography major Joel Engelhardt said his favorite place to eat on campus was the Dog Pound Deli in Douglas.

“It seems to have the healthiest foods on campus,” Engelhardt said, referring to the variety of salads and sandwiches there.

Senior history major Nicole Lamphere is also a fan of the deli even though she has never lived in the residence halls.

“Everybody always took me there, so it’s the one I’m most familiar with,” Lamphere said.

But for senior journalism major Ryan Trine, his choice of eats was at the Stevenson cafeteria. Trine said he liked the variety of food and the freshness of it.

“A lot of the food [in other dining halls] seemed to be rather old or not fresh,” Trine said. “Like they had just pulled out of the freezer or something.”

Location can also be a major factor for students as well. Even though she lives in Grant Hall, freshman undecided major Marina Salinas said she liked how close Neptune was to the rest of campus.

“It’s more about convenience,” Salinas said. “It would be a trip to go all the way to the [other] dorms to eat.”

Salinas said if she is in a hurry, she will grab something to eat from the Trident. But if she has time to spare and is in the company of friends, Salinas said she likes to go to the buffet. James Bingaman, freshman undecided major and Douglas resident, said while he likes Neptune, he does not like the price of it.

“I like Neptune, but I don’t like how it’s always all you can eat,” Bingaman said. “I can’t afford it everyday.”

Atmosphere can matter too. What kept junior history major Jen Julian at Lincoln was the feeling that the other dining halls are “cheap, greasy and filled with plastic and paper.”

But it was also atmosphere that kept senior sociology major Danielle Anderson out of Lincoln Hall and at Stevenson and Grant for brunch.

“I liked that you could take your food out. Some places, you can’t do that,” Anderson said.