Active Minds provide a healthy outlet for NIU students

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

One student organization offers a chance for students to experience relaxation while informing them about mental health issues.

The National Active Minds Organization raises awareness and education about mental health and illnesses through university chapters. They also debunk mental health myths by providing factual information, and provide resources if help is needed.

Anne Kubal, faculty advisor and licensed clinical psychologist at the counseling center, said the organization was established by a woman who lost her brother to suicide.

“This organization is designed to promote mental health awareness on a college campus and to reduce the stigma of mental health issues,” Kubal said.

The NIU chapter recently joined Active Minds in the 2005-2006 school year.

Dawn Bisterfeldt, junior nutrition and dietetics major and treasurer of Active Minds, said she joined the organization in the fall because she has a personal connection with the material and to practice her advocacy skills.

“There is a lot of mental health in my own family as it comes close to home,” Bisterfeldt said. “Also, I learn to be more accretive and to step out of my shell.”

The organization plans to host Stress Out Day during finals week. Bisterfeldt said this week allows students to play outside, participate in relaxation night programs and get massages to feel healthy. The group is also planning a bake sale for the beginning of April.

Sarah Hanchett, senior psychology major and president of Active Minds, said she joined the group because she likes to help people.

“I have watched close friends and family struggle with the stigma that surrounds mental illness,” Hanchett said. “I want to make it easier for those dealing with mental illness to receive the help they need.”

The NIU chapter won chapter of the year in 2006-2007 from the National Active Minds Organization.

Kubal said the chapter organized numerous activities such as Stress Out Week, participated in the national eating disorder week and provided a banner with names and statements of support from the NIU campus, which was given to Virginia Tech in the time of their tragedy.

Active Minds is currently planning programs and activities for next year. The group is looking to expand and seek new members.

“We want to rebuild the organization and make it bigger on campus,” Kubal said.

The group meets every other Monday at 6 p.m. in the Stevenson Fishbowl.