Fellowships made available by Ford

By Jen Bland

Minority graduate students looking for fellowships, your ship has just come in.

Ford Motor Company will be awarding 5 three-year pre-doctoral fellowships and 20 one-year dissertation fellowships to qualifying Native American, Alaskan Native, African-American, Latino, Native Pacific Islander and Puerto Rican students.

The deadline is Nov. 5 and applications can be picked up at the Center for Black Studies.

The fellowships are “designed to increase the presence of underrepresented minorities on the nation’s college and university faculties,” according to a pamphlet outlining the fellowship program.

The pamphlet stated there has been a severe underrepresentation of these minority groups in the Ph.D. population from which universities choose their faculty members.

The fellowships are aimed at minority students who are beginning graduate school, or are within one year of completing the dissertation and who plan to work toward a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree.

Fellowships will be awarded to students working in behavioral and social sciences, humanities, mathematics, physical sciences and biological sciences.

Students may utilize the fellowships at any accredited nonprofit university offering Ph.D.s or Sc.D.s in the fields eligible for support in this program.

Each pre-doctoral fellow will receive an annual stipend of $11,500 and an annual institutional grant of $6,000 for tuition and fees. Each dissertation fellow will receive an annual stipend of $18,000.

Pre-doctoral fellowship applicants must have Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores for tests taken since Oct. 1, 1988. Dissertation fellowship candidates must be admitted to doctoral candidacy and have completed all course work and examinations by Jan. 31, 1994 and expect to complete their dissertation during the 1994-1995 school year.

Van Amos, programming director of the Center for Black Studies, said, “To have a pre-doctoral fellowship is quite prestigious and coming from Ford, it makes it more prestigious.”

Fellowship recipients will be announced early in April 1994.

“To have a pre-doctoral fellowship is quite prestigious and coming from Ford, it makes it more prestigious.”