Slow economy causes two DeKalb restaurants to close

By SHAUN ZINCK

Two local DeKalb restaurants succumbed to the pressure of a struggling economy and have closed their doors within the last week.

Filo Spinato’s, 241 E. Lincoln Highway, closed last Saturday due to the current economic downturn, said owner Mel Witmer.

“Upscale dining is the most taxed restaurant,” Witmer said. “People can’t afford it except on special occasions.”

Witmer said the restaurant had a successful Valentine’s Day, but it could not prevent it from shutting down.

Witmer, who is also the owner of two other local businesses O’Leary’s Irish Pub & Grill and Tapalaluna, said the property Filo Spinato’s occupied is up for sale.

“There has been a tremendous amount of interest,” Witmer said. “I’m sure with the amount of interest we will be able to sell the property.”

Witmer said he plans on opening a new restaurant, but was not sure where. He did add it will “probably be somewhere warm.”

Baker’s Square, 131 N. Annie Glidden Road, is the second DeKalb restaurant to shut down in the last week.

Jim Mason, owner of Mason Properties, said he bought the property Baker’s Square occupies in 2003.

“[Baker’s Square] filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy about a year ago,” Mason said. “They’ve closed most of their stores in the Midwest.”

Mason added he planned on reopening the store as a pie shop but hadn’t settled on a name. He said a possible name is Annie Glidden Pie Shop.

“We’ll be in Monday to assess what we need to do,” Mason said. “We hope to reopen in about three weeks.”

NIU English graduate student Daniel Cruz came to Baker’s Square on its last day of business.

“We’re going to miss the pie the most,” Cruz said.

Economics professor Stephen Karlson said DeKalb has a history of upscale restaurants going out of business.

“When people are looking to spend less money, they do without the more expensive restaurants,” Karlson said.

Economics professor Jeremy Groves said DeKalb’s employment is not as diverse as larger cities, making it more vulnerable in a slow economy.

“Restaurants in the DeKalb area are more exposed because they have a smaller and less diverse population base compared to larger cities,” Groves said in an e-mail. “A large portion of DeKalb’s population is students, and as parents have less money and loans are harder to come by and smaller, students likely spend less.”