No spike in volunteering despite Obama initiative

By JAMES TSCHIRHART

President Obama wants you … to help volunteer to renew America.

Weeks before his inauguration, now-President Obama announced the Renew America Together initiative for which he made a call to service.

Since the initiative started last week on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, community service groups on campus have yet to see a spike in the number of volunteers. But they remain hopeful that Obama’s call will reach America’s youth.

“I have not seen any increase in volunteers in our club yet, but it is the beginning of the semester for us, and we are actively recruiting new members,” said Steven Dawson, president of the NIU Rotaract Club.

Dawson added he’s seen fewer students opting for straight volunteer work themselves but rather joining group efforts with more fun activities.

Dominique Webb, assistant vice president of Campus Activities Board and president of E.B.O.N.Y Women, believes Obama will be able to stimulate committees.

“Yes, I do believe the idea of having a new face, regardless of his race, [is] stirring up good vibes with the communities,” Webb said. “We see a new light; we want a change and preferably one that makes us all happy.”

One group, the Alpha Phi Omega community service fraternity, has seen larger turnouts within its ranks after holding an informational meeting last Thursday.

Valerie Berg, sophomore speech-language pathology major and service vice president for APO, was surprised by the large number of prospective pledges. However, she believes an increase in service on campus is not so much due to to Obama’s call.

“I have noticed an increase in service at our university, and I think that is attributed to the fact of Feb. 14 and because of the encouragement and support we’ve been getting from that,” Berg said.

Obama’s involvement in community service makes some students happier about his qualifications and boosts his grasp of the American public.

“A community organizer is identifying issues; analyzing problems in the community; and developing and leading action plans toward uplifting and helping a community. I believe that any president should have that quality,” Webb said. “If you can’t reach, enlighten or educate the community, you shouldn’t be in office.”