Brown Bag Series features recently-published works

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Faculty and students have the opportunity to listen to presentations from an English professor’s work outside the classroom.

The Brown Bag Series is comprised of lectures that discuss research or newly published work done by professors in the English department.

“The Brown Bag lunchtime presentations provide a great opportunity for us all to hear about the excellent scholarly and critical work that our colleagues are doing,” said Tim Ryan, assistant professor of English and coordinator of the Brown Bag Series.

Ryan said the presentation topics vary from 17th century English poetry to the use of technology in 21st century composition classes.

This is a good opportunity to introduce new professors to the department, he added.

“We get them to display their expertise,” he said.

Jeffrey Einboden, assistant professor of English and coordinator for the Brown Bag Series, said the presentations are held once a month during the fall and spring semester. He added that the talks last about 30 minutes, and take place in Reavis Hall, room 211.

“[The presenter] then fields questions from the audience, receiving feedback and suggestions regarding the topic,” Einboden said.

Natalie Christensen, junior English major, said she would be interested in attending a lecture if she knew the professor who was getting their work published. She added the presentation would be a learning experience.

“I would go in the hope of learning the process of publishing,” Christensen said.