Present Perfect fashion show to benefit charity

By Ayana Nickerson

Once again haute couture hits NIU. Students have been anxiously awaiting another fine fashion production sponsored by Present Perfect Modeling Organization.

Well the wait is over, because at 8 p.m. tonight in the Sandburg Auditorium Present Perfect will hold its annual new members fashion show.

“School Daze” will be the theme of this year’s fashion show.

Dawn Gillon, a sophomore at NIU and member of Present Perfect, said, “One of the reasons why we do this show is to give our new members a coming out show or a debut to our organization.”

However, this show is not only for Present Perfect’s new members, but it also is a benefit to aid the Hope Haven Homeless Shelter in DeKalb.

Present Perfect is asking everyone to bring a canned good. By doing this, students will be assisting the Hope Haven Shelter and they also will be charged 50 cents less for admission.

Nena Stewart, a senior and member of Present Perfect said, “Some people might think that all we do is model and talk about fashion. But that is far from what all we do. Present Perfect is always looking into donating things to charities, so all of our work is not in vain. We actually do some good.”

Larrisa Harris, a new member of Present Perfect, said, “This being my first time in a show like this makes me a little bit nervous, but when I think of the good that we are doing, it makes all of the practice and everything worth while.”

“I am really looking forward to the fashion show tonight,” said Kimberly Wilkins, a senior at NIU.

“I usually try to make it to all of the shows and since I’ve been here I have yet to see a bad production to be put on by Present Perfect and I’m sure this show will be no different,” she said.

Gillon said she hopes the university supports the event like it has done in the past. “There will be good music and good fashion that is especially geared toward the NIU student.”

Admission for the show is $1.50 without a canned good and $1 with a canned good.