Position to promote cultural awareness

By Grant Miller

The Interfraternity (IFC) and Panhellenic (Panhel) councils of NIU will soon have a new administrative position in their executive boards.

Representatives of the University Programming and Activities board approached both the IFC and Panhel in September about the possibility of adding a vice president of multicultural affairs position to their executive boards in the upcoming semester.

According to the proposal, the purpose of such a position would be to increase cultural awareness among the greek community as well as taking an active role in promoting and supporting participation in multicultural events at NIU.

Hesper Varland, undergraduate greek assistant for the UP&A office said the position requires interested individuals who are organized and self-motivated. “We need people who are willing to be aggressive to get the job done,” she said. “Organization is a must for this job.”

The proposal calls for the vice president of multicultural affairs to, among other things, sponsor an all-greek philanthropy, to comprise a calender of cultural holidays and celebrations and to inform chapters weekly of multicultural events happening around campus.

Varland said the Panhel position should be filled after the Panhel executive board elections. Varland is still working with the IFC executive board in organizing such a position.

“The position will probably be connected with the chair of external affairs in the IFC,” Varland said. Varland said she intends for the position to be fully installed for the IFC by the spring semester.

The proposal also calls for the vice president to head a committee to help create an atmosphere of awareness and cultural education in the greek community.

In doing this, the proposal asks for position members to be willing to work with other offices of the executive boards, especially those involved with personal growth, such as chapter relations and the social chair.

In a letter written to chapter presidents in September, Varland said she does not expect any overnight miracles to happen from the installation of the position but she said does expect the position to increase multicultural involvement in the greek community.