Students, residents looking to keep warm, save money

By JESSICA WELLS

With the fall months coming to a close and winter well on it’s way, students and residents are beginning to look for ways to winterize their homes and dorms in an attempt to keep warm and save money.

David Changnon, associate geography professor and a climatology and applied meteorology expert, said putting plastic on the windows of your home can cut down on the amount of cold air that comes in.

“It doesn’t give much of an opportunity to look out the window, but most people don’t do too much of that when it’s cold out anyway,” Changnon said.

He also advised homeowners to turn down their thermostat to a level that they could sustain

themselves at and be comfortable. He said having the thermostat at the lowest comfortable temperature saves energy and money when it comes to heating a house or apartment.

“These are the two things I do in my old house,” Changnon said.

Jennifer Manning, the assistant director of Residential Facilities, said the department works to keep the dorms comfortable in all seasons. The heating unit in each dorm room is designed to keep the target room temperature between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Freshman undecided major Jack Magic uses simple solutions to try to stay warm in the dorms during the colder months.

“When it’s really cold, I put on layers and close the window because my roommate always has it open,” Magic said.

Manning said thermometers can be checked out at the main desk of each dorm hall in order to determine the temperature in the room. If it is too hot or cold, the resident can call the Work Request Office at 815-753-4948 to report the concern. Manning said the office will inspect the

report and work with the appropriate technician to fix the problem.

Manning also suggests keeping the heating unit clear of clutter to prevent the heat from being blocked. She said keeping the curtains drawn can also prevent drafts in the room in some situations.

Along with these suggestions, Changnon personally does one final thing.

“I just pray for a warm winter,” Changnon said.