Student organizations working toward getting people out to vote

By JOHN BACHMANN

With the presidential election two weeks away, student organizations are working hard to get students to vote.

College Democrats President Anthony Wadas said his organization has been doing its best by setting up tables around the residential halls.

“At the tables we have been displaying information about Democratic candidates including presidential candidate Barack Obama and local candidates,” Wadas said. “And we will continue to do so up to the election.”

Wadas said they have received a good amount of people registered to vote.

“So far we have gotten a large number of people set up to vote,” he said.

Wadas said it is especially important for students to vote so they can get their voices heard.

“If students come out and vote, it helps add to their voice in getting politicians to listen to them,” Wadas said.

He has seen an increase to that voice from events that have occurred in the past.

“Students’ voice has become stronger in years past,” Wadas said. “Students have been through Sept. 11 and the Iraq war and they are able to relate to a lot of issues out there.”

College Republicans President Andrew Bogda said his organization is working to inform students.

“We are trying to inform people and get our name out there,” Bogda said. “And we are also trying to get people interested and vote.”

Bogda said they have tried to help inform students through their meetings.

“In our monthly meetings we’ve had guest speakers including congressmen and Republican State Representatives,” he said.

Bogda said they were successful in getting students involved.

“We’ve had a number of people join our group and got them registered to vote,” Bogda said.