Overcrowding still an issue at DeKalb High School, solution coming soon

By LIZ STOEVER

Aryelle Vargas said DeKalb High School was so crowded last year that even regular, nonelective classes, such as math classes, were packed.

The amount of overcrowding even had DHS considering canceling classes, which some students thought of as fun.

“A petition went around about that issue. I was one out of the 300 or more that didn’t like child development being taken away, and music and tech. education.” Vargas said, a 2008 DHS graduate.

It wasn’t just the classes that were packed, however – so were the hallways. Vargas said she would have to keep her hands at her side or she might bump into someone, which could result in a fight.

Last February, a majority vote allowed the DeKalb School District 428 to build another high school with a larger student capacity that will finally relieve the overcrowding problems.

As announced in NIU President John Peters Sept. 25 State of the University Address, NIU will work in partnership with the district to plan and launch the new DHS, as part of the university’s preschool through graduate school initiative.

Construction plans are already underway and the new high school is expected to open for the 2011-2012 school year.

DeKalb High School Principal Lindsey Hall said the district plans to build the school on Dresser Road in DeKalb, with a capacity of 2,500 students instead of 1,400.

The old high school building will undergo renovations so that Huntley Middle School in DeKalb can move in. The old building for the middle school will also be remodeled, allowing Chesebro Elementary School to move in. Chesebro’s building will then be used for an early childhood center.

All projects will be completed within a budget of $88.5 million.

Cindy Lofthouse, a DHS physical education, health and drivers education instructor, said the new high school will allow the opportunity to incorporate technology into the classes with ease.

“Students will be able to access technology for presentations and individual work,” she said.

Lofthouse also said she expects the classes to be much smaller than at the old high school and more natural light will shine through the windows, which should help with the mental well-being of students and staff.

Vargas said the old high school hindered her ability to learn. Since Vargas was often late for classes because of crowded hallways, she missed a lot of class time.

“Teachers and [the] principal would always say it was our fault, always blaming us,” she said.

Hall said initially the new high school will have extra room but the district expects for the amount of students to grow, filling up the remaining space.

The number of staff has also increased with the growing number of students, but not drastically, Hall said.