Campus party life carries risks, rewards: Make connections through parties

By JILL KOZAK

As a student at a large state school in the middle of a corn field it’s painfully obvious that as far as a social life goes, all we have is each other.

Student’s racking their brains over what to do with their time may be disappointed to discover that without each other, all that’s left to do is study. And let’s face it: we didn’t come to NIU to hide away in our rooms with a book.

Although this concept may seem obvious, going out and meeting people is the only way to establish a healthy social life. Social skills aren’t dished out to incoming freshmen with their move-in packages.

Surprisingly enough, you can’t order a friend off an infomercial.

Everyone likes to have their alone time or spend a quiet evening at home with close friends. I get it. For one, it’s comfortable and convenient. Not to mention, a night out partying could put a hole in your wallet.

But if you really weigh the options, immersing yourself in a sea of people while out for the night is quite the enticing thought.

The bright lights, the masses of people, the sound of good music … how could you resist?

To be fair, I’m letting the allure of nightlife get the best of me. To support large parties may insinuate that I prefer large amounts of alcohol. For the purposes of this article, let’s leave the issue of drinking out of it. There are a number of good reasons to attend parties other than alcohol.

“I like to go to places and parties where I know I’m going to run into people I’ve never met before,” said Kim McKeown, junior English major. “I might not make a new group of friends, but it’s worth going out to learn about everyone’s different perspective on things.”

For those who are 21 or older, going to a bar is perhaps the most popular late-night destination. Unlike hosting your own party, going to a bar doesn’t require entertaining guests or stressing over music selection.

Plus, a concentration of mostly outgoing, friendly people congregate at bars.

It’s too easy, and frankly too boring, to sit inside every night watching the paint dry. If you came to a large university, chances are you’re looking to meet new friends and hoping to network with people for professional and social reasons.

You don’t have to go out to a bar, but give “going out” in any sense of the word a try. Make connections, friends and memories. You’ll thank yourself later when you realize how socially well-rounded you are.