Sycamore celebrates birthday with festival this weekend

By EMILY GOINS

Sycamore is turning the big 1-5-0.

The sesquicentennial festival holds a theme of “Offering More” and kicks off today at 6 p.m. on the Sycamore Courthouse lawn.

According to the City of Sycamore Web site, this celebration will include a reading of the proclamation that incorporated Sycamore as a village in 1858, followed by an honoring of the flag and singing of the “National Anthem” and “Happy Birthday, Sycamore.” Cake and custard will be provided to all visitors and student musical performances will entertain the audience.

The celebrations continue Saturday afternoon with a picnic in Sycamore Park, located on Airport Road. There will be a visit from the FFA Barnyard Zoo, VFW Bingo, a funfair with games and prizes and a Taste of Sycamore with more than 15 food vendors.

Live music begins at 3 p.m. and features the Black Tie Jazz Trio, The Menagerie and The Silver Creek Band. A fireworks display will be at 8:30 p.m.

In addition to this weekend’s celebrations, the sesquicentennial theme will be incorporated into many of Sycamore’s annually planned events, including Summer on State, Fizz Ehrler Car Show, Discover Sycamore Block Party and the Pumpkin Festival.

“The theme will be intertwined with events from May all the way to November of this year, such as the annual car show and Pumpkin Fest,” said Sycamore Mayor Ken Mundy.

To conclude Sycamore’s anniversary celebration, the city will have a Sesquicentennial Ball on Nov. 22 at St. Mary Memorial Hall, 322 Waterman St.

These celebrations and activities are sponsored largely by the City of Sycamore, Ideal, Kishwaukee Community Hospital, National Bank & Trust, Resource Bank and Zea Mays.

“What I am most looking forward to in this celebration is the kickoff this weekend, the Farmer’s Market, car show and Pumpkin Fest,” Mundy said.

Mundy also said the Pumpkin Fest this fall will feature students from the district’s eight schools. Three students from each school will be riding in horse-drawn covered wagons.

“We spend a lot of time talking about out past and our history, but we also must recognize our students, our future,” Mundy said.