NIU alumni, DeKalb community members comment on Cole Hall

By LIZ STOEVER

Students are not the only ones voicing opinions on the future of Cole Hall. NIU alumni and other community members in DeKalb are sharing their views, as well.

Dori Burg, a longtime DeKalb resident, has a son currently attending NIU. Burg believes tearing down Cole Hall wouldn’t fix anything.

“It’s not the building’s fault for what happened,” Burg said.

Burg said the building should be used as a peace center to study why young adults commit these crimes and how they can be solved.

“If the school needs a new building, that should be a separate issue,” Burg said.

John Hupperly, NIU alumnus of 1966 and DeKalb resident, agrees that it would be a great idea to devote a program to study how to prevent violence.

The ugly incident should not cause NIU to do something ridiculous and illogical, Hupperly said.

“There is still life left [in Cole Hall],” Hupperly said.

Hupperly recalled taking a western civilization class in Cole Hall, along with some exams. He said that he also brought his children there to see films for the Cinema Club.

Brent Keller, DeKalb alderman for the 7th Ward and Student Association president elect, said he is still undecided and is waiting for surveys from students before he forms a final opinion.

“I could see the validity of both sides of the argument,” Keller said.

Dave Baker, DeKalb 6th Ward alderman, offered his thoughts on the financial side of the issue.

Baker said NIU needs to decide if eliminating a building makes sense financially.

“I would say, keep an open mind and look at all possibilities,” Baker said, also noting that NIU could do some fundraising like the athletic department did to build the Yordon Center.

If NIU decides not to remove the building, Baker said he would like to see the building remodeled and a memorial placed in the auditorium.

Victor Wogen, DeKalb 3rd Ward aldermen, talked to some students, who said they would have a hard time going back.

“I would like to see it torn down,” Wogen said.

Although Wogen has heard a lot about how the money could be spent better, he said, “A brand new building would be very nice for the university.”