Class of the Week: Body Fluids

By JOHN RANALLO

Lecture in AHLS 308 on Tuesday focused on those adorable little creatures: sperm.

AHLS 308: Body Fluids teaches students the principles, techniques, handling and testing procedures for cerebralspinal, seminal, amniotic and serous fluids. The class also covers other miscellaneous body fluids and fecal analysis. The class addresses the issues of anatomy, physiology, infertility, morphology and lab techniques. Classes include case studies and require students to analyze complex data.

The class meets twice a week and includes both a lecture and a laboratory component.

Jeanne M. Isabel, the program director of clinical laboratory sciences and the class’ professor, says students can learn valuable lab techniques for their future and work with relative subject matter.

“The topics and information they gain from studying in this class, this is the first step of them becoming a lab professional,” Isabel said.

Isabel believes that in addition to preparing students for the future, some of the aspects of the class are particularly important, such as the “laboratory and hands-on subject matter.”

Wendy Ropp, junior clinical laboratory sciences major, agrees that what makes AHLS different is the material.

“I think the subject matter in the program is good,” Ropp said. “In the clinical aspect, you’re doing something rather than just sitting here listening to lecture.”

Students must be able to identify abnormalities, determine variables and examine data on a wide variety of different fluids. Students will also develop correlations and draw conclusions.

Kristina Hudak, senior clinical laboratory sciences major, believes the class is unique and enjoys the science-based material.

“I have never had another class like this,” Hudak said.