NIU’s Wellness Fair provides free health checks

By MICHELLE GIBBONS

Free screenings, assessments and health and wellness information will be availabe at the NIU Wellness Fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday in the Holmes Student Center’s Ellington Ballroom and Capitol Room.

The Wellness Fair, sponsored by Recreation Services and the Employee Assistance Program since 1992, will include more than 80 vendors from the community and NIU.

Becky Lewis, assistant director of Recreation Services, said the event is a great way for people to get information about their personal health and wellness in one location in a short amount of time and for free.

“It’s a nice mix of community, NIU students, faculty and staff,” Lewis said. “It’s a great way to see people interacting and coming together for a great cause – positive, personal well-being.”

Karen Smith, NIU EAP program specialist, said there is no cost to attend the fair and screenings are free, except for the cholesterol and thyroid screenings, which are offered at a low cost. Massages, foot screenings, body density assessments and available devices for disabilities, as well as looking at what is on people’s skin before washing hands, are just some of the services to check out.

Smith said many students and employees do not always know what services are available on campus to help with their needs. She said the fair is a way to educate them.

“When it comes to health and well-being, many people are uncomfortable in seeking out services,” Smith said. “Getting a chance to meet some providers of services personally can help overcome this feeling. Being able to access a free screening helps many people to see what is entailed in receiving services. Also, these screenings have a benefit in possibly pinpointing what may be going on with our health — physical as well as mental.”

For more information or to volunteer for this year or next year’s Wellness Fair, call Karen Smith in Employee Assistance at 815-753-9191.

The deadline for volunteering for the Wellness Fair is Tuesday.