DeKalb County sees increase in Democratic voting

By LIZ STOEVER

This year’s primary is not only set to make a mark in history, but it has largely made its mark on voters as well.

The growing excitement for a black or female president may be the reason for DeKalb County’s switch into the Democratic realm.

DeKalb County Clerk Sharon Holmes said more voters have requested Democratic ballots than Republican ballots.

DeKalb County in past years has voted mostly Republican.

To Eileen Dubin, chair of the DeKalb County Democratic central committee, this does not come as a surprise. She said she expects this year to be largely

Democratic.

She called this race unusual due to the level of excitement. Barack Obama has also inspired more involvement from younger people, Dubin said.

“There’s a lot of excitement on campus,” Dubin said. “Large groups of students are working to get votes.”

Although NIU has the students to make DeKalb largely Democratic, in the years past, the number was not quite enough to shift that influence onto DeKalb County.

This year may be different.

Those who are unaffiliated with either the Democratic or Republican Party are likely to cross over to the Democratic side, Dubin said.

Barbara Burrell, political science professor, said because this election is the first time in a long time that there is not an incumbent candidate, the race is more competitive on both sides.

The historical value of having the first woman or black president is clearly playing a large role, as well.

Holmes said that more than 52,000 DeKalb County residents are registered to vote.

According to a Northern Star article published on Nov. 2, 2004, voter registration was fewer than 50,000 in 2000.

The number of early and absentee voters has also grown.

Over 1,200 DeKalb County residents have requested early or absentee ballots.

“That’s an unheard of number for a primary,” Holmes said.

The increase is a first in 30 years, Holmes added.

Burrell believes that DeKalb residents also want to make sure they vote for the school referendum.

Voting early is the new phenomenon because of the convenience, Burrell said.

DeKalb residents are making sure their voice is heard in case they encounter any issues of weather or work on election day.

As Super Tuesday approaches, the pressure to campaign will continue until the very end.

Burrell said that “Robocalls,” which are recorded messages of politicians that play on people’s telephones, are very popular.