Future safety should be primary concern for NIU

By JILL KOZAK

Returning to campus after an event that shook the NIU community could be described as emotional, to say the least.

Between reliving the tragic shooting and reflecting on its implications on our personal and collective lives, it’s hard to find the will to begin wrapping our minds around solid information and educational material.

Thus, the first few days of class were spent discussing the act of terror that senselessly took the lives of five beautiful Huskies.

To me, this is understandable and completely appropriate.

However, I found that, in nearly all of my class discussions, little to no time was given to future prevention and security around campus.

I find myself tense on campus. I usually love walking into Reavis Hall, smelling the candles burning and watching students lounge on the couch. But after the shooting, that warm, cozy feeling has since been replaced with an anxiety that nearly makes my fists clench.

It is vital to realize these feelings are natural after such a violent occurrence so close to home, but at the same time, these feelings could, and should be lessened by increased security measures around campus.

This event predictably drew comparisons to the shooting at Virginia Tech. After 33 lives were taken too soon by a gunman, security increased, including inside locks on doors and a more effective method — including a mass text-messaging system — to alert students, faculty and staff about possible threats.

I am not here to knock the response to our school’s shooting. I thought police, emergency personnel and others responded quickly and effectively.

There is no way to ever predict when someone is going to act out and shoot people on a rampage. There is no oracle we can consult for prevention methods. But there are completely feasible ways to decrease the odds of having such a tragedy occur again.

Some suggest that a law allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons for safety would be a good idea. I refuse to believe that we should fight fire with fire. The notion of students carrying firearms for personal safety is a thought I cannot comprehend.

I understand lobbying in this country for gun laws is strong, but let’s not give into these lobbyists who insist “guns save lives,” because, as we can surely attest, five lives dear to us were lost due to guns.

In speaking with a student who attends New York University, I received insight on that campus’ strict security system that originated after the Virginia Tech shooting.

“Security at NYU is top-of-the-line. No one is allowed to get into any NYU building without showing your NYU I.D. to a Public Safety officer and/or swiping into the NYU swipe system,” said Rachel Marie LaPorte, a junior drama major at NYU.

Whether a residence hall, a dining hall, the gym, the library or a classroom, no one is permitted without first identifying themselves.

“No amount of burden could ever compromise my security at school, especially with the unfortunate repetition of school shootings,” LaPorte said.

This column is not meant to serve as an answer to all security breach issues. I am not a university official in charge of student safety.

I am, however, a wounded Huskie desperately seeking some tender loving care from those with power to ensure our safety, security and peace of mind.