Students and stress: Don’t let it get you down

By MICHELLE GIBBONS

For Thomas Bucolic, homework, projects and assignments are the main factors causing stress in his life.

“It wears (me) down,” Bucolic, a junior marketing major said. “After 16 weeks, you’re just looking forward to the end of the semester, and breaks.”

According to a National College Health Assessment survey, stress was reported as the No. 1 health impediment to academic success for college students, said Steve Lux, a health educator for Health Enhancement.

Stress can have a major impact on both the physical and emotional self, depending on the kind of stress and how persistent and intense it is, Lux said.

“We tend to think of stress as a negative thing, but it’s really important and necessary for good functioning,” he said. “We need stress to help motivate us and to help us achieve.”

Excessive stress can, however, cause anything from minor inconveniences to major health issues, he said. Though occasional stress may not have a huge effect on the immune system, it can lead to health problems-even debilitating illnesses and diseases if left unresolved.

Long-term high-intensity stress interferes with the immune system’s ability to keep the body healthy.

“Stress can’t bring on [illness], but it kind of opens the body to being more receptive to an infection that we’re exposed to,” he said “A well-functioning immune system can sometimes deal with [a virus] before it has a chance to really get ahold of you and cause symptoms.”

One key to addressing stress is to pay attention to the physical and non-physical cues from the body, such as stomachaches, headaches and muscle or back pain, he said.

Gabriel Osorio, a graduate student and industrial engineering major, said running late causes him to be stressed. To deal with stress, Osorio said he usually takes a break and walks.

According to a previous Northern Star article, keeping a list of activities to do when stressed is one way to reduce the symptoms of stress.

Such activities may include practicing yoga or meditation, getting a massage, recreational reading, watching television or writing in a journal.

For more information, call Health Enhancement at 815-753-9755.