New Year’s resolutions put to the test

By JESSICA SABBAH

As the new year begins, so does the New Year’s resolution to get in shape.

The Campus Recreation Center is not the only option to pursue the goal of the new and improved you.

The DeKalb Park District, Kishwaukee YMCA and Curves, 834 W. Lincoln Highway, offers many resources and programs to trim the dreaded holiday pounds and get in shape.

DeKalb Park District

The DeKalb Park District offers fitness classes including spinning, abs, cardio, swimming, pilates, yoga and kickboxing. Belly dancing and martial arts classes are also available.

Location of the classes vary depending on the class, with some at the Haish Gym’s Fitness Center, 303 S. Ninth Street, the Sports and Recreation Center, 1765 S. Fourth Street and the DeKalb High School swimming pool, 1515 S. Fourth Street.

Regular classes range from 45 to 75 minutes with some express classes lasting 30 minutes.

Prices range depending on the class and usually last six to seven weeks.

The Fitness Center has various machines available, free to residents of DeKalb with a $5 membership card fee.

There is also lap swimming available at the DeKalb High School swimming pool for limited hours on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday with special pricing.

Colleen Belmont, program director of the DeKalb Park District, offered some advice for those who made their New Year’s resolution to get fit.

“They need to make it a habit and lifestyle for it to be effective,” Belmont said. “They just need to stick with it and it just needs to happen slowly.”

YMCA

The Kishwaukee Family YMCA facilities include two indoor pools, wellness center, basketball gym, activity center, indoor track, sports center, racquetball/wallyball courts and Kids Zone Center, which all can be accessed with a membership.

There are 46 free fitness classes available per week and some classes that offer reduced rates with membership. All information can be found at www.kishymca.org.

There is a special half-off the joiner fee at the YMCA until Jan. 31. Membership rates vary on age and can be found online.

The Kish YMCA is currently hosting two programs, Commit to Be Fit and the YMCA Biggest Loser, to help members reach their goals.

“At the YMCA we would like to encourage everyone to start on a path for a healthier lifestyle and we are committed to helping our members to achieve their health and wellness goals,” said Debbie Madeley, the membership and marketing director of the Kishwaukee Family YMCA.

Curves

Curves, a workout center for women, currently has a special 30 percent discount on the membership fee lasting until March 1, making it $99 in oppose to the normal $149 fee. After that there is a $34 monthly fee.

Full-time college students have a special flat membership rate of $99 per semester. Other specials include AARP members and Blue Cross Blue Shield members have a reduced membership fee of $49, with the same $34 monthly fee.

Curves is hosting a program, Resolution and Revolution, which started Monday and lasts for the next six weeks. This program offers prizes for every five pounds of weight or five inches lost.