Founders library to open coffee shop

By NICOLE SOSZYNSKI

Founders Memorial Library is expanding its service to further serve NIU students.

The library will open its first coffee shop, called Founders Cafe, in the student lounge, one level down from the main floor.

Mitch Kielb, director of the Holmes Student Center, said construction on the cafe began this past fall, and it will open in the second or third week of February due to a delay of equipment.

Byron Anderson, interim dean of the University Library, said the idea was established from coffee’s increasing popularity, and public and academic libraries nationwide are putting coffee shops in their libraries.

Kielb said the library came to them with an improvement idea to benefit library patrons.

“It is meant to attract students to the library and to make using the library more attractive,” Kielb said. “Students will get more convenience and a nicer atmosphere to study or take a break from studying.”

Anderson hopes the cafe will bring in more students and be an easy access for a warm drink or a snack.

“It’s close and convenient for students to stop in,” Anderson said. “It will make the library a more inviting place to come to.”

Courtney Washington, sophomore corporate communication major, heard from friends about the opening of the coffee shop and became interested.

“It will probably make you want to go more, because most of the time students go [to the library] to study, so then they don’t have to leave to grab something to eat or drink,” Washington said.