Class of the Week

By JOHN RANALLO

Music 373: Fundamentals, Principles and Elements of Music

Imagine walking into your 12:30 p.m. class barefoot. Students remove their shoes before entering Professor Jui-Ching Wang’s Music 373 class.

As students shuffle into class, they find their spots and they sit on the floor in a circle.

In Music 373, classes usually begin with an activity to stimulate the students, such as singing, dancing, marching and hand-clapping routines. The beginning activities are very reminiscent of those found in elementary education programs, Wang said.

The class is for elementary education majors and focuses on teaching the elements of music to elementary students. Students learn musical elements such as rhythm, melody, tempo, meter and how to express them clearly to elementary students.

Students also receive instruction on how to play some types of instruments, including the recorder and percussion instruments. Some teaching methods include associating sounds with pictures, and designing songs for children to sing. Songs include topics such as pizza and ice cream.

Wang believes Music 373 can be a very valuable class to students.

“Students get some hands-on experience that they can use in their future teaching,” Wang said.

Even with the relaxed course structure, there are still tests and students will still be expected to learn a great deal.

The students in Wang’s class had some initial hesitation adjusting to the unorthodox nature of the class.

“The first week they were pretty shy,” Wang said.

Christina Miller, a pre-elementary education major, enjoys the unusual class and believes that it helps her to experience things she may not experience in other classes.

“It takes you out of your comfort zone without making you uncomfortable,” Miller said.

Wang believes Music 373 can help students remember what it’s like to think as a child.

Georgia Photopulos, a pre-elementary major, enjoys the class for many reasons but none of them simpler than revisiting the days of childhood.

“We get to act like little kids,” she said.