NIU Community School of the Arts celebrates 20th year

By MICHELLE GIBBONS

The NIU Community School of the Arts is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

The self-funded program was founded in 1988 and “brings many of the most talented teachers in the region together with children, teens and adults at all levels of ability,” according to the group’s Web site.

With a faculty of about 80 teachers, private lessons on both traditional and Suzuki (guitar, violin and piano) instruments are available, as are classes in music, art and theater and music ensembles.

Scholarships are also available from the school for those in financial need and for talented students who are 18 and older.

“Each semester, about 500 people from nearly 50 towns and cities in the northern Illinois area travel to NIU to take lessons or enjoy a class or ensemble,” said Deborah Booth, director of the NIU Community School of the Arts.

“Our teachers are NIU faculty and students, as well as community artists, and our students range in age from 1 year old to 80 years old,” Booth said.

Ann Montzka-Smelser, a violin and viola instructor at the Community School since 1985 and an NIU faculty member, said the school connects the university and the community.

“The Community School offers the community a wonderful range of music lessons, but also allows students to get experience as teachers,” Montzka-Smelser said.

“Also, [it brings] young students to see the Music Building and to see the concerts there, and get to play recitals in the fantastic facilities in the Music Building. It’s really great.”

John Novak, an associate professor of music theory for NIU and a piano and accordion instructor for the Community School, said teaching at the school is rewarding.

“Teaching applied lessons at the Community School allows me to pass on all I have learned from studying these instruments, including interpretation, technique and the meaning of emotion in music,” Novak said.

On Feb. 10, the Community School will hold its eighth Performathon to raise money for young people pursuing their study of the arts. The event will be held in the Music Building and includes a mega-recital with nearly 100 students performing.

There will also be a bake sale, a music sale, used sheet music and music books, a raffle and a silent auction. The CSJazz Band will also perform at 3 p.m.

For more information on Community School of the Arts programs, go to www.niu.edu/extprograms, or call 1-815-753-1450.