Groups sponsor band, comedians

By Maria Tortorello

Tired of the usual party scene after the game during Homecoming weekend? Now there is an alternative.

The Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) and the Omega Psi Phi fraternity will be sponsoring a comedy show featuring well-known comedians from around the country.

Doors will open at 6 p.m. Saturday to the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, located in the Music Building.

The show will open with a performance by musical guests, Deep’r, an R & B band.

The group has performed at various functions across the country, including the Chicago Black Expo last summer.

One of the comedians, Kool “Bubba” Ice, has performed across the country. His performances include the popular “Russel Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam,” which won him a standing ovation.

Tony Scoulfield and Duran Howard will be the other two well-known comedians performing.

After their performances, the comedians will conduct a “dissing contest,” which will involve members of the audience matching wits with one another by putting each other down in humorous ways.

If one of the competitors chooses, he or she may “dis” with one of the comedians for a cash prize.

Students can sign up for the contest before the concert by calling Michael Julian at 756-4448.

Willie Fowler, president of the BGSA, said the show is funded by the Student Association, Black Student Union and Residence Halls Association, and therefore is free of charge.

“We went to all of these organizations for funding because we wanted to appeal to all students, not just minorities,” Fowler said.

The show has been presented at NIU for the past two years, and the number of people attending has increased each year.

“Last year we had a wide variety of students,” Fowler said. “This year we are expecting at least 500 to 600 people.”

Although the event is not new to NIU, this is the first year the show will take place during the week of Homecoming.

“We have been working with the Homecoming Committee, so we can make sure there will be no conflicts,” Fowler said. “We want all students to be able to attend.”