$3.2 million approved for new women’s track and field, soccer facility

By MICHELLE GIBBONS

The NIU Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee approved $3.2 million for a track and field/soccer facility at Thursday’s meeting.

The facility is intended to be used by the NIU women’s track team and the men’s and women’s soccer programs. The project is scheduled to be voted on by the full Board of Trustees in December.

In December 2006, the NCAA withdrew permission for the NIU women’s track team to practice on the track at DeKalb High School. To comply with Title IX, NIU developed a plan to build a track and field facility.

The track will be relocated to the soccer field west of the stadium. The women’s track team currently practices in the Convocation Center parking lot.

“This facility is a critical project for the women’s track and field program, as well as the soccer teams,” said NIU athletic director Jim Phillips.

The project will be funded through ticket sales and corporate sponsorships generated by the Department of Athletics, Phillips said.

Chiller Plant Discussed

Jeff Daurer, director of capital budgeting and planning for Finance and Facilities, also presented information on the East Campus Chilled Water Plant Project. The project will help reduce energy savings on campus by about $400,000 annually, Daurer said.

Some of the campus chillers are about 40 years old, he said.

According to a Northern Star article, the Illinois Capital Development Board has earmarked $7.7 million and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Equal Opportunity has set aside $7.8 million for the project. NIU will need to contribute $3.9 million of the cost for the plant and receive capital development funds.

The plant will initially cool 17 central campus buildings, including the Holmes Student Center, Founders Memorial Library and the Campus Life Building, according to the article. The plant also could potentially cool Anderson and Barsema halls and the College of Engineering. Older buildings such as Still Gym, Davis and McMurray halls can be converted to the system in the future, but they would require some modifications.

Construction on the plant will begin in April, and is planned to be fully operational by 2010.