DeKalb Public Library hosts Destination Wonder program

By AMANDA PODGORNY

DeKalb residents can be whisked away to a magical land once a month at the DeKalb Public Library.

The Destination Wonder program has been introducing DeKalb residents to fantasy, horror and science fiction books for almost two years.

“We did it once two years ago and revived it this September,” said Steve Roman, a local librarian and the founder of the Destination Wonder program,

Destination Wonder is designed for high school students and older. Roman said this is because adults are comfortable having a discussion with other adults, not children.

“College students are definitely welcome,” Roman said. “We order extra copies of the books so they can check them out.”

Roman also hopes to bring in people through the type of literature the program offers.

“A lot of people in the area like those genres,” Roman said.

Mallory Mikrut, a sophomore accountancy major, has read “The Chronicles of Narnia,” a fantasy novel by C.S. Lewis.

“I would probably participate if the books were interesting to me,” Mikrut said.

Every book is handpicked by Roman, with past selections including “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury and “I Am Legend” by Richard Matheson.

The selected book of December is “The Golden Compass” by Philip Pullman.

This was chosen not only because of the upcoming movie release but also because of the controversy surrounding the book.

“‘The Golden Compass’ portrays a very corrupt church as a governing body and this had upset some people,” Roman said.

The discussion group meets from 7 to 8:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of every month in the DeKalb Public Library, 309 Oak St.