Religious demonstrators draw crowd, create controversy

By JOHN RANALLO, RYAN STRONG, and JUSTIN WEAVER

A demonstration in the King Memorial Commons on Monday drew a sizable crowd of protestors.

The demonstration, which began about 10 a.m. and ran to about 2 p.m., featured a small group of individuals speaking to a crowd of observers on religious subject matter, with the crowd eventually increasing to more than a hundred spectators. University Police were eventually called to the scene to observe the proceedings.

PUSHING BUTTONS

The group of speakers consisted of a man calling himself “Brother Jed,” his wife “Sister Cindy,” an older companion called “Sister Pat” and the couple’s teenage daughters. The demonstrators would not release their full names or the organization, if any, they are affiliated with.

Sister Cindy said the purpose of the demonstration was to steer students’ lives in the proper direction.

“In a way, we’re pushing buttons,” she said. “We want them to read the Bible while they’re able and repent their sins. We’re making a tour of campuses in the Midwest. We are here to warn the wicked.”

The demonstrators were forced by University Police to leave the Commons at 2 p.m., as they did not have a permit to demonstrate at that particular time and place. InterVarsity Christian Fellowship had the Commons reserved from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., but was unable to begin its planned event with the demonstration taking place, said Casey Beckley, campus staff worker for InterVarsity.

InterVarsity contacted Student Leadership and Development, which then contacted the UP, said junior special education major and InterVarsity member Shannon Pugh.

The demonstrators relocated to another area and spoke in front of a smaller crowd for the next several hours.

Reservations for the MLK Commons are made through the Student Involvement and Leadership department.

Jan Smith, reservationist for student organizations, said the group did not have the area reserved, stating that she had “no clue who they are.”

THE CROWD RESPONSE

Brother Jed elicited a response from the crowd, speaking out against homosexuality, promiscuity, alcohol consumption and membership in Greek organizations while comparing himself to Christ several times.

Sister Cindy referred to NIU as “an ungodly school,” accusing several female spectators of prostitution while singling out a number of students for having tattoos and shirts promoting alternative music genres.

“I feel that they have a right to speak their minds, but that they were trying to generate discussion through negative attention, and I don’t think that’s the way to do it,” Pugh said.

Dan Grubb, associate professor of mathematical sciences, was one of many who protested Jed’s speech.

“He’s the best argument for atheism there is,” Grubb said.

Over the course of the speeches, a number of students debating the speakers’ viewpoints came close to physically provoking the demonstrators, though no such incident ultimately occurred. Those students returned some time later, holding a sign that read, “These people are insane.”

Carl Sullivan, a senior mechanical engineering major and self-described person of faith, disagreed with the views presented and thought the demonstration reflected negatively on other religious followers.

“I think it’s pretty sad for religion in general,” Sullivan said. “[Sister Cindy] is not preaching what Jesus preached.”

Beckley, who was able to begin InterVarsity’s event when the demonstrators were escorted from the Commons by the UP, shared similar sentiments.

“My first reaction was that it’s kind of embarrassing,” Beckley said. “I think it seems to be more harmful than helpful. They like to go to campuses and stir up a commotion. It’s embarrassing for religious organizations to have here.”

SINGLING OUT

Brother Jed elicited anger from the crowd for his taunting of a lesbian couple present, telling them they were “pretty enough to get a man.”

“He is extremely hypocritical,” said Amanda Walde, a junior media communications major and the object of Brother Jed’s disparaging remarks.

Her partner, junior media communications major Hillary Kowalski, also thought the remarks made by the demonstrators were unfair and misguided.

“These people are not preaching love and acceptance,” Kowalski said. “Our religion is love.”