Students to take active part in Crime Prevention Week

By Matt Gilbert

A wreath will hang in the King Memorial Commons next week to protest prejudice and crimes of sexual assault. Students will be able to take an active part in the protest by tying a color-coded ribbon to the wreath.

The wreath is just one part of the Student Association’s sponsorship of a series of events in its second annual Campus Crime Prevention Week.

The week’s events begin with an open forum called “Confronting Our Prejudices.” The forum will be held at 6 p.m. Oct. 25 in Heritage Room of the Holmes Student Center. According to Sylvia Cerrato, SA campus welfare adviser, leaders from several organizations, including ethnic organizations on campus, will sit on a panel and encourage audience questions.

Panelists for the forum will include Lujuana Williams, program coordinator for Student Affairs; April McLaughlin, vice president of the Black Student Union; Nolen Hendreson, president of BROTHERS; Gino Barrto, president of the Italian Club; Lupe Navarro, chair of Latino Cultural Awareness Committee.

On Wednesday, there will be a “Take Back Your Voice” sexual assault program and self-defense demonstration. The demonstration will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 27 on court three in the Recreation Center and will be lead by Cathy Corl of Mediation Services of Northern Illinois. The program will include a question and answer session.

“(Corl) donates her services to the community and to NIU. After her program last year (during Crime Prevention Week), I decided to utilize her services once again due to her common-sense approach to self defense,” Cerrato said.

Finally, a “Speak Out! Rally” and open mike will take place from noon to 1 p.m. in the commons. Speakers will include University Legal Council George Shur and Larry Bolles, director of the Judicial Office. After they speak, the microphone will be turned over to the audience.

On Oct. 28 and 29 there will be a legislative call-in to U.S. Representative Denny Hastert, R-Yorkville. The call-in will give passersby in the commons an opportunity to voice their opinions on bills coming before the state concerning violence against women and safe campuses for women. The call-in will utilize phones donated by United States Cellular.

For more information about Campus Crime Prevention Week call the SA Office at 753-0482.