RIAA cracks down on illegal music downloading

By MICHAEL VAN DER HARST

For the third time in 2007, NIU is a target of the Recording Industry Association of America.

The RIAA has sent 25 more pre-litigation letters to NIU students in another crackdown on illegal music downloading among colleges.

NIU is one of 19 schools in this latest wave.

The letters are intended to give the students an opportunity to settle before the recording industry files a proper lawsuit.

Including this wave, 103 NIU students have been sent letters in the 2007 calendar year.

Any school can receive the letters, as the RIAA is targeting the illegal actions, not individual schools, said an RIAA spokesperson.

“We hope that university administrators recognize the beneficial role they will play here,” said Cary Sherman, president of the RIAA.

“[They need to demonstrate] the leadership that helps teach students right from wrong, and by implementing the technological tools that prevent piracy from happening in the first place.”

Ares and Limewire are two programs the RIAA looks into on a regular basis, the spokesperson said.

The Student Legal Services office is offering advice to those who were contacted during this wave, although they did not specify any other details.

Students have 20 days after they receive the letter to contact the attorneys representing various record companies. The minimum damage per song if you do not choose to settle prior to a lawsuit is $750, according to a sample letter obtained by the Northern Star.

“Illegal file-trafficking remains a significant and disproportionate problem on college campuses,” Sherman said.

The recording industry encourages students to use a program like Ruckus, which offers free music to any student on various college campuses, including NIU.

“These new efforts aim to help students recognize that the consequences for illegal downloading are more real than ever before,” said Sherman.