Students need to be aware of common illnesses on campus

By EMILY GOINS

Mosquitoes, handshakes and coughing oh my!

All three everyday occurrences have one thing in common – they spread disease.

While West Nile virus and avian influenza are just two of many new viruses that have emerged in recent years, students should remain aware of the contagious viruses that can be commonly found in a college campus environment.

“The most dangerous diseases in the area are the seasonal illnesses that have a comeback, like the mumps and pertussis, otherwise known as the whooping cough,” said Peg Carroll, communicable disease resource officer for the DeKalb County Health Department.

Carroll said under-vaccinated individuals are the most at risk for these diseases.

“It all comes down to those everyday actions like good hand-washing and not sharing cups and glasses with others,” Carroll said.

These diseases are also the most common diseases that have been reported in recent years on the NIU campus. Ten cases of mumps and pertussis have been reported so far this year in the DeKalb area, Carroll said.

According to the Department of Health and Human Science’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention, pertussis is a highly contagious respiratory disease caused by bacteria and is spread by coughing and sneezing.

Mumps is only spread through direct contact with respiratory secretions or saliva. There is no specific treatment given for the virus, and young adults are strongly encouraged to get the mumps vaccine.

Lindsey McKinney, freshman biology major, said she takes her health seriously.

“Being healthy is important to me, so I try to break a sweat and eat all of my colors everyday,” McKinney said. “Doing so helps build up good immunity which comes in handy when battling a breeding ground for germs, such as the dorms.”

Mosquito bites have also become a cause for concern with recent outbreaks of the West Nile virus and avian influenza around the country. These viruses cannot be prevented by vaccinations and staying clean.

The best way to stay protected from these viruses, according to the Center for Disease Control, is to use insect repellent whenever outdoors and to try to stay indoors at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most frequently active.

However, the best way to stay healthy and away from such diseases and viruses is to be aware that they exist and know about the preventions and vaccinations available, Carroll said.