Exploring Majors Fair offers students insight into major choices

By ERIN WILSON

NIU has more than 50 majors and nearly 60 minors available to students, and some students have a hard time deciding which best suits their career interests.

The Exploring Majors Fair takes place on Oct. 2 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Duke Ellington Ballroom. The fair presents the opportunity for students wanting to find out more information on a major or minor to speak with faculty and staff from each of NIU’s academic departments.

“The fair is a really great opportunity for first and second year students to see and learn about all of the academic programs NIU has to offer,” said Michael Broshears, director of the Academic Advising Center. “To be able to do that in one location during the fall semester without setting up an appointment with an adviser is really a tremendous opportunity. For students’ convenience, all the representatives are going to be at the same place at the same time.”

Students are able receive all get all the resources they need to make a major choice.

Even if a major has already been selected, the fair benefits students by confirming their decision to major in a specific area and allows students to take on a minor as well, Broshears said.

Career services will also be on hand to connect a student’s major to career and internship opportunities.

“I always tell students that their major should be something they enjoy.

Students need to know where their skills lie and connect them with NIU’s options,” Broshears said. “Students should also continue to explore their department after they’ve chosen a major. The most important piece is to get involved in campus activities related to your career interests.”