Former Grant gravel lots to be completed soon

By MICHELLE GIBBONS

Students with parking concerns may soon find relief, as construction in the Grant North parking lot is expected to be completed.

Though some finishing work will continue on the lot, it is expected to open today, said Laura Lundelius, coordinator of parking and traffic.

Lot O was made larger and Lot X smaller due to installation of the detention basin.

Total costs of the project, which started May 14, include $949,000 for construction and $141,000 for engineering design, said project manager Jim Murphy.

The project was delayed due to weather issues, Lundelius said. During construction, orange permit holders were mainly affected, as they were forced to find available parking elsewhere.

Though Alicia Williams, a junior physical therapy major, agreed that the weather did play a part in delaying the project, but she believes the construction has taken too long.

“School has started and the project should be done,” Williams said. “A lot of students park on that lot, and that’s causing students to park in the Convo or further. It’s an inconvenience for the students.”

Murphy said last week’s flooding was not the primary cause for delay, but did hamper construction to an extent.

“Periodic rains prevented the site from drying sufficiently to allow construction to proceed,” he said.

Lundelius said the improvements allow for a cleaner parking area.

“The parking efficiency will improve by having striped parking stalls for people to park their cars in,” she said. “Cars will be cleaner from driving on paved areas. The overall improvements are a huge plus.”