Parking woes grip students

By Michelle Gibbons

Rebecca Gerstner and her friends are in competition this semester — for a parking space.

Gerstner, a junior journalism major, said she is concerned the construction around Grant Towers is limiting available parking by forcing residents of Grant to park by Stevenson Towers.

“The parking in Stevenson is orange, and so are the lots around Grant,” Gerstner said. “We have to park all the way out in the Convo [lot] because there isn’t any parking by [Stevenson]. It’s possible that we’re all competing for the same spot.”

Due to construction delays pertaining to the weather, lots X and O, located north of the residence halls, will remain under construction during the first week of classes and will open as they are completed, according to the Campus Parking Services’ Web site.

Weather permitting, NIU expects these parking lots to be available for orange permit holders to park in by Tuesday, Sept. 4.

Orange permit holders may also notice they need to park elsewhere during home football games. Students are asked to vacate parking lot PS, located southwest of Stevenson Towers, which is reserved for spectator parking during football games, said Laura Lundelius, coordinator of parking and traffic for Campus Parking Services. Students with orange parking permits are asked to park in a different orange permit parking lot.

“Students are given the information with their parking permit and the parking lot is also posted with information,” Lundelius said.

Gabriel Perez, a junior business administration major, said he does not agree with NIU’s parking regulations for football games.

“Parking should be available anywhere during the football games no matter who you are, except possibly the people who work in the actual stadium,” he said.

For more information on parking rules and regulations, contact Parking Services at (815) 753-1045.