Students march in support of immigration reform

By Caitlin Mullen

DeKALB | NIU students marched for a new dream Tuesday, celebrating the May Day immigration rallies.

“It’s the one-year anniversary,” said sophomore sociology major Ulysses Diaz. “We just want to show solidarity with all the marches in Chicago.”

Though last year’s immigration rallies and marches brought out thousands of people, this year was slightly lower key.

“It’s kind of like a repeat of last year,” said Jose Reyes, a junior political science major. “We didn’t know until the last minute if there were going to be national rallies, so it’s kind of simpler.”

Students hope to move immigration reform to the forefront and make sure the issue does not get moved to the back burner among present-day political topics.

“It’s an issue that affects millions of people, and it’s been going on for years,” Diaz said. “We’re looking to spread some information and show the community that people do care.”

Part of those millions affected include students, Reyes said.

“Students at NIU do care,” he said. “We want to show them what’s going on; what’s recent news.”

Students stood in the King Memorial Commons and marched around campus, held banners and passed out fliers with information on recent immigration legislation.

Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM), a bill introduced in the U.S. Senate in March, would allow undocumented immigrant students to receive a college education. Upon graduation, these students would need to become American citizens.

“It’s important because we have family members that are immigrants that are trying to pursue education,” said Lizzette Arcos, a junior special education major.

Adriana Garcia, a senior childhood studies major, is among those ready to see a change.

“Immigration reform is a long time coming,” Garcia said.